The many benefits of racquet sports are known all over the world. The physical activity that we do when practicing them helps us to improve both our health (physical and psychological) and our self-esteem. In addition, these sports are a good opportunity to meet people or have a good time with friends.
What racquet sports can we practice and what are its benefits?
Tennis: it is the best known of them and probably the most traditional.
- Increases aerobic capacity, burns fat and increases our cardiovascular capacity.
- Improves anaerobic capacity thanks to periods of high intensity.
- It helps the general coordination of the body and, above all, the visual-motor.
- You can prevent diseases such as osteoporosis because it strengthens bones.
- Strengthens legs and enhances agility.
Padel: it is played in pairs and its simplicity means that anyone can practice it, regardless of physical form.
- Strengthens the heart and reduces the risk of heart disease or heart failure, as it helps to widen our arteries and veins.
- Tones the buttocks and legs.
- It helps to burn fat and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Facilitates skills such as coordination, agility and precision, improving the ability to react.
Squash: it is a sport to practice in interior spaces. It is played in pairs and consists of bouncing a rubber ball against the wall. To practice, it is advisable to be in shape since their movements are more abrupt and of greater intensity.
- Tones glutes, legs, arms and abdomen while making us lighter, agile and flexible.
- It improves our reflexes and coordination.
- It helps improve our muscle strength and endurance.
- The balance is also improved due to its sudden accelerations and dry braking.
Badminton: Can be played in pairs or individually. Unlike other racquet sports, you do not play with a ball, but with a projectile called a shuttle or feather. to play this you need to have the best racket for badminton.
- It is perfect to get in shape in a short time since half an hour of badminton equals one of tennis.
- The muscles of the whole body are worked.
- Improves flexibility in the extremities, especially the lower ones.
- It favors the loss of fat and prevents some cardiovascular diseases.
- Develop speed and strength.
Racket sports precautions:
Despite the many benefits of these exercises, it is very important to be careful as it is very easy to have some type of injury , especially if they are not practiced properly. For example, before practicing squash it is advisable to have a medical check-up since its high intensity can be counterproductive if you suffer from heart problems or other cardiovascular diseases.
In addition, the most frequent injuries in these sports are sprains or tendonitis, which is why proper footwear is indispensable. On the other hand, it is also worth noting that lesions on the elbows or wrists are also quite common, so if we suffer from any of these ailments, it is better to avoid them.
- Racket sports are ideal for playing as a team and meeting new people.
- With them, we strengthen and tone our legs, glutes and abdominals in a short time.
- Some of them, such as squash, are considered high-intensity sports and therefore are not recommended for people suffering from a heart-related disease.